Saturday 28 December 2013

Rule No.72: A reduced jumper is not more important than family

A belated Merry Christmas! 

Sorry about the lack of Christmas Day posting. It was a busier day than expected. Plus, spending time with family around Christmas is definitely the most important thing to do. No offence blog fans, you know I love you too.

My Christmas day consisted of a lovely walk around the Memorial Park in the morning with my mum, dad and my ugly dog, Taz.


I hope I'm not one of those owners that looks like their dog. If so, shoot me. 

After the walk I worked at a homeless shelter for a few hours, where I helped prepare food, sort out clothing and make a bag of toiletries for each person dropping by the shelter. The bags included shampoo, conditioner, a razor, toothbrush, etc. Everything is donated by the public and it's really heartwarming to see how many people donate. An Indian restaurant had made curry for all of the people staying at the homeless shelter the night before too, which I was pretty jealous of. I LOVE a curry.

I highly recommend volunteering at a homeless shelter over the Christmas period. I usually help out at the The Methodist Church in Coventry, where I help serve the Christmas dinner and sit with the visitors, pull crackers and share stories, etc. This year it was more 'behind the scenes' work and I must say I prefer getting to chat to everyone. However, one thing I have definitely learnt this year is that things people probably don't even think to donate are actually really vital. Things like toothpaste, deodorant and razors.

When I got back to my parents house I had a little nap then we had the best Christmas dinner ever (and lots of wine). After dinner we went to my aunty and uncles house for more food, alcohol and a game of trivial pursuit. It was girls against boys, and the girls lost by one point. I was useless, I didn't help out with a single question. 

Ever since Christmas day I've been drinking all day everyday. I'm starting to think my dad thinks I'm his dustbin for alcohol. He asked me to do him 'a favour' on Boxing day, which included drinking a bottle of wine he didn't like. Obviously I drank it, followed by whisky and Baileys (not at the same time). I think Christmas is the only time you can get away with drinking constantly.

Can you believe people were queuing outside Selfridges from 11pm on Christmas Day for the sales? Is that really what Christmas means to people? Surely, family and friends are much more important than some reduced tshirts?

These are the two main people I've been spending my days with. My amazing nephews.



Anyway, I'm currently at Birmingham airport on my way to Krakow. A 4am alarm was set and my parents drove Jade and I to the airport. What absolute gems!

Yesterday however, I felt like absolute crap. I had four lempsips and lots of oranges so I'm hoping my nose will stop running and I'll stop coughing. Although, it did mean that I was able to sit in bed and do this most of the day.



I hope you have an amazing NYE and I'll catch up when I'm back. That's if I'm alive after all of the vodka I'm going to consume. 

x

No comments:

Post a Comment