Friday 13 December 2013

Rule No.68: Don't give kids boring tasks, unless you want them to think you're just as boring

This week I started my Christmas shopping, which is always a dreaded task. I find it especially difficult to buy for my nephews and my niece. The thing is I don't want to be seen as the boring auntie that just buys clothes, but at the same time they have so many toys they definitely don't need any more. 

I have been really paranoid that I am boring with kids ever since a mortifying incident that happened when I was 19. I worked on a tourist farm during the summer of my first year at university, and I was once asked to look after the farm owners son who was about 8. They wanted him to have 'work experience' so he was helping out on the farm for a week. Most of the people that were looking after him just let him pet the animals and generally have fun. I on the other hand got him to help me clean the guinea pigs out, and I kept giving him different tasks (surely that's what work experience is about?). He then turned round to me after about an hour and said "you're the most boring person I have ever met, I don't like you". 

Massive slap in the face.
 
I don't want my nephews and my niece to grow up thinking the same. I want them to think I am the COOL auntie. Therefore, I've bought jokey tshirts, board games and animal themed things this year. I think I've done pretty well. I'll definitely show you a pic of one of the presents after Christmas. YOU WILL LOVE IT.

I had a massive low point this week. I accidentally ordered the One Direction album twice. It's embarrassing enough that I ordered it in the first place, but I had to email iTunes for a refund. I obviously wrote in the email 'I know this is shameful'. The iTunes woman was very friendly though, she refunded me and wished me and my family a very Merry Christmas. Americans are so enthusiastic!

There have been quite a few highlights this week (although it's only Friday), which have basically been everything Christmas related.

I had my nails painted with Christmas designs.
 


I went to the Schuh Christmas event on Wednesday night. We all ate macaroni cheese, hot dogs, cup cakes, duffins (doughnut muffins) and drank champagne and mulled wine. Then we all watched Elf in a really cool venue under a railway bridge (indoors) in London Bridge. I also got to take home three cupcakes and a bottle of red wine - that's my Saturday night sorted.


I've decorated my phone.


I've worn Christmas head gear all week.


 
 

I guarantee I'll be bored of anything Christmas related by Christmas Eve.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment