Monday 20 January 2014

Rule No.76: Don't chicken out

Why do the weekends go so quickly?

I'm already sitting in bed after the dreaded Monday at work, and it only feels like five minutes ago that I arrived in Newton Abbot, which was actually on Friday evening. It's depressing. Although, it does mean it's only four days until the next weekend...

I was in Devon this weekend (hence arriving in Newton Abbot), which was lovely. I was staying with my brother as he'd organised an event packed weekend for my mums 60th birthday. My parents (obviously) and my auntie and uncle were also staying at his house. This meant I was left with my six year old nephews bed to sleep in. Good job I'm pretty much the same height as him.  Sometimes being short is useful.  

We went to Bovey castle on Saturday for afternoon tea, which was very posh. They even parked our car for us when we arrived and the staff all wore horse riding clothes. I was on my best behaviour despite dropping the tea strainer in my teacup and having to drink leafy tea. It's just a shame I don't have more control over how I behave when I'm asleep. I woke myself up on the train yesterday with my snoring. Not exactly attractive on a full train carriage. Luckily there wasn't any young, handsome men around. Not that it makes it that much better...

Tonight I went to my first work shop at the writing club I joined. I was nervous, tired from work and craving sausage and mash, but I went. I'm glad I did too, hence today's simple, but wise rule.

I have come away with so much more knowledge about writing a good book. Especially when writing dialect as I'm terrible when it comes to that. I've also come away with a red wine stain on my top, but I definitely didn't learn how to do that. That just seems to come naturally.

It just shows though, sometimes the scariest things and the things that are most out of our comfort zone are the most rewarding. I'm not confident when it comes to writing. You know how I write, I'm not a good describer, I'm not a clever writer and I definitely don't plan what I'm going to write with precision and thought. I write as me, but actually, I think that's OK. Say that, I didn't have the guts to read any of my stuff out. I will next time though, don't you worry. Small steps...

I should probably go to bed. I might actually get seven hours sleep for once (I'm still working on going to bed earlier...) 

I'll leave you with this. 


It's so true. Although arguably, panda eyes aren't a very good look...

X

No comments:

Post a Comment